Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Shabbat and "Seeing is Believing"

This past Shabbat, we were in Karnei Shomron with our dear friends, Bevie and Chucky Klein. We had a wonderful time with them, and I must say that the Tefilla on Friday night was beautiful! We davened at a Carelbach-style minyan and the singing was just gorgeous.

In the afternoon, a number of old acquaintances came over, and we all reminisced about the past many years. It was such an enjoyable and relaxing Shabbat! The food, the company and the Shabbat ruach were all outstanding!

Yesterday, I learned first-hand how much the neighborhood I live in values Torah and Torah scholarship. As many of you know, the Daf Yomi cycle just concluded learning Bava Metzia. At the shul where I daven, they were making a Siyum last night to celebrate this milestone. I was invited by a few people and decided that it would be a good idea to attend. I expected to see 20-30 people sitting around a couple of tables with some pop (Chicago-speak for "soda." A word I still can not say!), some chips and maybe some fruit. WOW...was I surprised! There were about 75 people there, and I was told by many that it was a HALF of the usual crowd. And the food...the food! Hamburgers, rice, meat, fruit, dips, pita and on and on! It was a veritable feast. Someone made the "Hadran" and after some eating there was a 1/2 hour shiur that covered a wide range of subjects of the Massechet.

I had HEARD in the past that this was an area that gave Kavod/Honor to Torah. But, now I saw it with my own eyes. What a beautiful event! Just think...by the time all of you reading this make Aliya (to Maale Adumim!) you can join in the next Siyum on February 13, 2010 for Bava Batra! I will save a seat for anyone wishing to join in.

No comments:

Post a Comment