Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dumpster Diving

So I THOUGHT we had enough boxes for packing the rest of our stuff. Ha! Silly me...I went to the local recycling facility near North Park to see if I could get any boxes (preferably large ones) before they went to the Big Brown Box in the sky. After all, why shouldn't these lucky boxes/cartons make Aliya with us!

I found the person running the show and asked for permission to take some boxes. Why did I ask, you may wonder? A few months ago, when I "took" them without asking, the guy running the place told me if I ever showed up again and "rescued" boxes without permission, he would throw me out! So, I learned my lesson and decided to ask nicely this time.

This very nice woman not only allowed me to retrieve some of the boxes, she even told me where to find the best ones for packing! Only one little problem...they were all inside this HUGE dumpster, and I would have to climb up a ladder to retrieve said boxes. Climb...up a ladder...and I am TERRIFIED of heights!!! Well, I took a deep breath, said Shema (not really, but it sounds good!) and climbed up to do my dumpster diving and get boxes for our move.
JACKPOT! Not only did I get some great ones, it turns out that someone was just bringing a bunch of boxes to the cardboard graveyard, and she gave them straight to me.
Who would have thought that a trip to a recycling center could provide so much adventure. (I think this packing business is getting to me...)

4 comments:

  1. Making Aliyah and afraid of heights?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SUCH a clever comment! Yes, we are moving up to greater heights even though I am terrified of heights. I just hope I am not afraid of SPIRITUAL heights!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. may you go up, up- mechayil el chayil. this blog is a great idea.
    -Tamar Friedman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much, Tamar! Did you want me to save you a house in Israel??
    :)

    ReplyDelete