Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Driving

Because I have gotten involved (as a part of my job) overseeing the Netivot program of students coming to Israel to finish their 10th grade studies here, I have had to do a LOT of running around: meetings at the host schools, meeting with the teachers, setting up schedules, meeting the counselors, etc. I have had the opportunity to have a car for a few days. This was to enable me to do this and get to all the meetings (spread all over the place!) in an easier fashion. So, for the first time I am really driving around parts of the country. Some observations: it is easier than I anticipated with the HUGE exception of driving in Yerushalayim. For example, parking in Yerushalayim. Now that is somewhat of an oxymoron. It is akin to saying Cubs and World Series in the same sentence or Chametz and Pesach or, well....you get the idea! I am sure that the government pays people to take up all the parking spots in the city so that anyone who has no experience in FINDING a spot will be able to do so. In addition, you also can not get "there" from "here" in many cases. Ooops...this is the BUS LANE you fool...get out of this lane. Phew, at least I am in the turning lane awaiting the green..so why is everyone honking? Poor individual that they are all honking at. Wait...they are honking at me! Turn...turn!!!!

Other than a couple of minor issues like this, it was very gratifying and simplifying to have this opportunity. I need to return the car today...but in Or Yehuda by the airport...where they DO indeed have parking places.

All this action has led Andy and me to FINALLY take the steps to get our driver's licenses. THAT is not an easy task considering the 103, 894 steps that are involved. More on that at a later date!

I hear through the grapevine that Pesach is on the way. It has been SO different this year for me as I am not in the throes of the prep I would have done in my role as rabbi. It is not "better" or "worse." It is just different....

No comments:

Post a Comment