Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Back at Home!

After being away from home for 10 days, it was great to get back home. Actually, before I even left NY, I had a very funny thing happen to me. I had left my 2 suitcases at a home in Lawrence (while I went to Chicago). So, when I returned to NY, I had to get to the house, get my stuff, re-pack and head back to JFK for the trip home. I took a taxi to this home and the driver was a foreigner (I know, you are shocked). In any event, we got to talking, and in the middle of the conversation, he asked me where I was from. I told him that I live in Israel, to which he replied, "You speak English very well!" While stifling a laugh at this (and at HIS remarkable command of the English language), I explained that I grew up in the USA for over 50 years. Just had to be there...

So, here I am sitting back in my little home-made office pecking away at the computer, trying to stay awake and get some work done before going to sleep (is 7:00pm too early to head off to bed??!!) I actually went into Yerushalayim today for a meeting...it was incredible to be back there. Seeing PURIM everywhere I turned and feeling that I was back in the Holy City made me feel wonderful.

Finally, at Mincha today (Ta'anit Esther), I discovered that the man who works in the local Makolet (grocery store) is a sort-of relative! He is a first cousin to a guy who is married to a first cousin of mine in Toronto. What a tiny little Jewish world we have....and I am thrilled to be back in the home of the Jews!

Now, getting ready for Shabbat (we are hosting a few of my former students for Shabbat) and then on to Purim...how great!

No comments:

Post a Comment