Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Elfa, Flu, Speaking and Mountains

One of the items that we purchased back in Chicago and sent to Israel was a closet system called Elfa by The Container Store. We bought this system for the area in our bedroom dedicated for closets, and we bought them for the (small but efficient) laundry room. I spent the better part of the day putting in these systems, and I must say that I HIGHLY recommend them. Once you mount the main rack, everything else (more or less) snaps into place. Only one issue I had: there was one wall that was very mad at me that I wanted to drill into it and ruin its day. It kept complaining to me by not allowing me access. However, after I put it in its place and revved up the drill a few times to scare it, it finally relented and "allowed" me to affix the Elfa system to its face.

At the same time, as I was installing these items, we were anxiously awaiting the installer who was coming to put in our shower doors. About 4:00pm, the phone rang...it was the office manager calling on behalf of the installer. Seems that he had been at the stop just before us, and he...well, let's say, he got VERY sick to his stomach...multiple times...and had to go home with what looked like the flu. I had one of those "Only in Israel" moments, when I wished him (via the phone caller) a Refuah Shlema and she replied, "Amen v'amen!" So, he is sick in bed, and we still continue to shower with no shower doors. Supposedly, we will see someone else for this on Wednesday morning. I won't hold my breath.

In a VERY welcome change to my "Zev the Builder" routine of late, I had a very special opportunity the other day. I was invited to someone's home to speak to a group of women, in order to commemorate the yahrzeit of this woman's mother. I spoke on the subject of the Bracha in Shemona Esray "Refa'enu Hashem V'Nerafeh." I addressed the MANY (seeming) inconsistencies in this Bracha and ultimately what the goal of the Bracha truly is. It was nice to have the opportunity and look forward to doing this again.

Finally, from the category of "general musings," I must say that each and every day, as I walk out of our home to go to Shul, or as I sit on my patio outside in our backyard, or I stand on the mirpesset outside our bedroom, I am still overwhelmed by the stark beauty of the area in which we have chosen to live. I find myself saying the words מָה־רַבּוּ מַעֲשֶֹיךָ ה כֻּלָּם בְּחָכְמָה עָשִֹיתָ מָלְאָה הָאָרֶץ קִנְיָנֶךָ "How wonderous are you acts..." very often.

I invite you to stop by one day to see what I am referring to!

Have a wonderful day.

1 comment:

  1. We have Elfa in our closet and we LOVE it! Looks like you guys are settling in nicely! We look forward to seeing you soon!

    ReplyDelete